We regularly receive questions from (potential) customers about PIM and what it actually entails. Below you will find an overview of the primary functions within the Tinx PIM solution combined with corresponding explanations per function.
E-commerce titles are the titles used to describe and identify products on an e-commerce website. These titles should contain the product’s main features so that the customer can quickly understand what the product is and what it is intended for.
Here are some examples of what e-commerce titles might look like:
Product Name + Brand Name: For example, “iPhone 13 – Apple”
Product name + model number: e.g. “Samsung Galaxy S21 – SM-G991U”
Product Name + Key Feature: For instance, “Wireless Noise Canceling Headphones – Sony WH-1000XM4”
Product name + size/packaging: e.g. “Pack of 3 reusable shopping bags – EcoBags”
Product name + color: for example, “Men’s T-shirt in red – Levi’s”
It is important to use a clear and accurate title so that customers can quickly find what they are looking for. In addition, good titles can help optimize product pages for search engines (SEO), contributing to higher visibility and better sales results.
Short and long descriptions
Short descriptions and long descriptions are both important elements when describing online products.
A short description is usually a concise summary of the main features of a product. This description gives the potential buyer a quick idea of the product and what it can be used for. It is important to include the main benefits and features of the product in the short description to capture the customer’s interest.
On the other hand, a long description provides a more detailed description of the product. This may include a more detailed description of the product’s features, as well as application and usage information. It may also contain information about the materials the product is made of, dimensions, care and maintenance instructions, and any warranties.
A good long description provides the customer with enough information to make an informed decision about purchasing the product. It is important to keep the long description clear and concise and to include the product’s main features that are important to the customer.
Meta title and meta description of products
A meta title and meta description are important elements for search engine optimization (SEO) of webshop products and can offer the following benefits:
- Better visibility in search results: the meta title and meta description appear in search engine results, giving potential customers a quick grasp of what the page is about. By using attractive and relevant meta titles and descriptions, your webshop can stand out from other search results and attract potential customers.
- Higher click-through rates (CTR): an attractive and compelling meta title and description can increase CTR, meaning more people click the link to visit your product page. This can, for example, result in more visitors and sales for your webshop.
- Clarity and consistency: a good meta title and description can help potential customers understand the page and what to expect. By ensuring the title and description are clear and consistent with the page’s content, customers can find what they’re looking for more easily and have more confidence in your store.
- More relevant searches: by using relevant keywords in the meta title and description, potential customers can find your products when they search for specific products or information. This can, for example, result in more traffic and sales for your webshop.
- Higher search engine rankings: by using relevant keywords and attractive meta titles and descriptions, your webshop can achieve higher positions in search engine results. This can, for example, result in more traffic, sales and better visibility for your webshop.
Bundled, grouped and configurable products
Bundled, grouped, and configurable products are different types of products that are often used in webshops. The differences between these types of products are explained below:
- Bundled products: these products are sold as a bundle, where customers can purchase multiple products at the same time. For example, this bundle can consist of different products that are often purchased together or different variants of the same product. By offering bundled products, customers can save time searching for matching products and often receive a discount on the total price. Consider, for example, a complete dining set with a dining table and four chairs.
- Grouped products: grouped products are similar to bundled products, but instead of being sold as a single bundle, they appear as separate products on the product page. Customers can then choose for themselves which products they want to buy. For example, grouped products can be useful when customers want to choose from several products that can be used together. For example, think of a laptop with a mouse and laptop bag.
- Configurable Products: for these products, customers can select different options to customize a product to their specific needs. This may concern, for example, the product’s color, size, style or other characteristics. By offering configurable products, customers can find a product that better fits their needs, leading to higher customer satisfaction and sales. A well-known example is a T-shirt where you can choose both a size and color.
All three of these types of products can add value to an online store by offering customers more choice and flexibility and simplifying the process of product selection and purchase.
Assigning multiple languages to an online product has several advantages, including:
- Larger target group: appeal to a larger target group. It increases the chance that people who speak and understand different languages can find and buy the product.
- International expansion: this is important for companies that are looking to expand internationally. It can increase its reach and market share by making the product available in the languages of the countries where the company wants to expand.
- Customer satisfaction: the company demonstrates it considers the needs of customers who speak and understand different languages. This can contribute to a positive customer experience and customer satisfaction.
- Higher conversion rates: customers can better understand the product and have confidence in buying it. This can contribute to higher conversion rates and an increase in product sales.
Images and video links
Showing images and YouTube / Vimeo videos with online products has several advantages:
- Gives a better view of the product: images and videos show the customers what the product actually looks like. This will help them get a better idea of the product, making them more confident about purchasing it.
- Increase sales: using images and videos can increase conversions as it allows the customer to see the product in action and better imagine how the product would fit into their lives. This can help them decide to purchase.
- Increases engagement: videos can be an engaging way to engage customers with your product. A well-produced video can grab attention and help customers identify with the product and your brand.
- Gives confidence: showing images and videos of your products can increase customer confidence in your brand. It shows that you are willing to be transparent about what you are selling and that you are worthy of the customer’s trust.
Define a good product structure based on category and attribute
A good product structure for webshop products can be defined based on category and attribute information by following these steps:
- Identify the categories: start by identifying the different categories that your products fall into. For example, this could be clothing, electronics, home and garden, and so on. Make a list of the categories that are relevant to your webshop.
- Identify the attributes: then identify the attributes relevant to each category. This can be, for example, size, color, material, style, brand, and so on. List the attributes relevant to each category.
- Define the hierarchy: define the hierarchy of the categories by organizing them in a tree structure. For example, the category ‘clothing’ can be divided into the subcategories ‘women’, ‘men’, ‘children’, and so on. Each subcategory can, in turn, be subdivided into further subcategories.
- Define the attribute values: for each attribute, define the possible values that can be used to describe the attribute. For example, for the color of a garment, the values could be black, white, red, blue, and so on.
- Implement the product structure: implement the defined product structure by assigning the appropriate categories and attributes to the products. Make sure the products are categorized correctly and contain all relevant attribute values. This helps improve search results and customers’ navigation through your webshop.
It is important to regularly evaluate and update the product structure to ensure that it remains relevant and works optimally for your webshop and customers.
Characteristics are important product features or specifications that can help inform potential customers about what to expect when purchasing the product. In a webshop, product features can be displayed on the product page and can help give a more complete picture of the product.
Some examples of characteristics that can be useful to mention on the product page of a webshop are:
- Dimensions: the product’s dimensions, such as length, width and height, can help determine whether the product will fit in the space for which it is intended.
- Materials: the material from which the product is made can be important to customers who are interested in the quality and durability of the product.
- Color: the color of the product can be an important factor for customers looking for specific colors to match their interior, wardrobe, etc.
- Weight: the weight of the product may be relevant to customers looking for lighter or heavier products, depending on their use and application.
- Warranty: the warranty on the product can be important for customers looking for extra protection or peace of mind with their purchase.
Overall, product features help potential customers make informed decisions and can also improve the customer experience by providing a clearer understanding of what to expect when purchasing the product.
Tags and labels
Tags and labels are terms or keywords used to categorize and organize products on a webshop.
Tags are specific keywords that describe the properties or characteristics of a product. For example, when it comes to clothing, tags can be used to indicate what type of garment it is (e.g. “pants”, “shirt”, “dress”), the material it is made of (e.g. “cotton”, “leather “), the style (e.g. “casual”, “formal”), the color (e.g. “blue”, “red”) and so on. But it can also be used to temporarily provide a product with a “sale” label so that you can bring the product to the attention of your webshop.
Labels are more general categories that organize products. For example, in the case of an electronics store, labels can be used to group products based on their type (e.g. “televisions”, “laptops”, “smartphones”), brand (e.g. “Apple”, “Samsung”), price range (e.g. “budget”, “premium”), etc.
By using tags and labels, customers can more easily find products that meet their needs and webshop owners can better organize and present the products.
A multi-sales-channel approach to a webshop or marketplace means that the company does not only sell its products on a single platform but on multiple platforms at the same time. This can mean, for example, that a webshop also sells products on Amazon, eBay, Zalando or other online marketplaces.
By using a multi-sales-channel approach, companies can reach a larger audience and offer their products on the platforms where their target audience is located. This can lead to more sales and higher revenue.
However, managing and integrating multiple platforms into the business process can also be challenging. It is important to ensure proper synchronization of stock, prices and shipping to avoid errors and ensure efficient management of all sales channels.
Each platform (sales channel) has its own PIM data
Providing your own PIM data per platform can have several advantages:
- Consistent product information: you can ensure that the product information on each platform is unique. For example, this can help prevent customer confusion and improve the overall customer experience.
- Optimization of product information: you can optimize the product information for the specific requirements of that platform. For example, you can optimize the requirements for product images, titles, descriptions, features, and specs for each platform individually to get the best results.
- Better visibility: you can get better visibility of your products. For example, if you sell products on Amazon, optimizing the product information on Amazon can make your products appear higher in search results, increasing the likelihood of sales.
- More sales: you can generate more sales. This is because better visibility, optimized product information, and consistent information increase the likelihood that customers will find, trust, and buy your products.
Cross-sell and up-sell relationships and related products
Establishing cross-sell and up-sell relationships, or linking products as related products, can have several benefits:
- Increased sales: by using cross-sell and up-sell relationships, you can increase the sales of your webshop. Cross-sell relationships refer to recommending related products that are complementary to the product a customer has already purchased. In contrast, up-sell relationships refer to offering a higher-priced or more comprehensive alternative to the product a customer is considering purchasing. Providing customers with more choices and pointing them to other products they might want to buy can encourage them to buy more.
- Increased customer satisfaction: cross-sell and up-sell relationships can increase customer satisfaction by directing customers to products that may be relevant to them and better meet their needs. For example, this can result in customers being more satisfied with their purchases and less likely to return products or have complaints.
- Improved customer experience: linking related products makes it easier for customers to find what they’re looking for and improves the overall customer experience. This can, for example, lead to more returning customers and a more positive image of your webshop.
- Increased average order value: pointing customers to related products can encourage them to purchase more products than they originally intended. This can, for example, result in an increased average order value per customer.
However, it is important to carefully select and link cross-sell and up-sell relationships and related products to ensure they are relevant to the customer and contribute to sales. Unnecessary or irrelevant recommendations can deter the customer from buying from your webshop.
Interested in how Tinx handles PIM data in Business Central? Click here.